Churches

This page is dedicated to Church photography that I have been lucky enough to capture when I am out and about with my camera, here there and everywhere!

Church of St. Mary, Shrewton - 26.01.20


A small church existed in 1236, when its tithes were given to the newly founded Lacock Abbey by Ela, Countess of Salisbury. The church lies to the east of the river Till, which formed the boundary between the manors and parishes of Shrewton and Maddington. An increase in population made it necessary to widen the aisles by the 15th century and increasing prosterity meant that a tower was built in the late 15th century. The dedication to St. Mary is known from 1488. There is the base of a preaching cross in the north-west corner of the churchyard. From the 16th to the 18th centuries there was often no resident vicar, with the church often served by a curate. Possibly because of this there seems to have been no major building work or extensions during this time, only small alterations and repairs.


In 1825 the church was described as, 'a melange of ancient and modern architecture'. At this time the chancel measured 26 feet 6 inches by 11 feet 2 inches and was separated from the nave by a broken pointed arch, springing from clustered slender columns, the capitals of which were decorated by well sculpted vine leaves. The nave was 29 feet 3 inches long and , including two small aisles, was 35 feet 10 inches wide. By this time the church was much too small as the village population increased dramatically in the early 19th century. The attendances on Census Sunday in 1851 were 70 in the morning and 200 in the afternoon. The church was also said to be much dilapidated at this time. In 1853 it was decided to largely rebuild the church, except for the tower and the western bays of the nave. Under the direction of T.H. Wyatt, the diocesan architect, the nave was extended eastwards by one bay, the arcades restored, the aisles rebuilt and a clerestory added. A new chancel, with organ chamber and side chapel, was built. The old piers of the chancel arch were rebuilt and a piscina and small window, also of the 13th century, were reset in the chancel.


The rebuilt church was consecrated on 5th September 1855. Apparently local people were well pleased with their new church and remarked that, "they now had a fine new Church, and a much larger one than they had before; but that it was Shrewton Church still". By this time Shrewton and Maddington villages had grown together and in 1869 the vicarages were united under one vicar. In 1923 Rollestone was added to the benefice and finally, in 1970 the three ecclesiastical parishes were united. From 1972 the benefice was just known as 'Shrewton', and in 1974 a new vicarage was built in Chapel Lane. The parish registers from 1557, other than those in current use, are held in the Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre in Chippenham.

St Mary's Church, Maddington - 26.01.20


A beautiful church with chequerboard walls.  Set in a shady churchyard, this lovely church lies at the top of a long footpath.


It has a low west tower, a long nave, chancel and south transept, presumably for a family pew. A few small fragments remain from the Norman church and there were additions and alterations in succeeding centuries, much being done in the seventeenth century.


In 1853 the chancel was rebuilt and the whole church restored by T H Wyatt. Both nave and chancel walls are faced with flint and sandstone chequerwork.


Inside, over the tower arch, there is a large plaster cartouche of strapwork enclosing the date 1637, which is said to refer to the erection of a now vanished gallery at the west end of the nave.

St Andrew's Church, Rollestone - 26.01.20


A church owned by religious crusaders.


This tiny, charming church, which overlooks the River Till, was built mainly in the thirteenth century of flint and stone chequerwork with two large Perpendicular windows. The little wooden bell-turret was added in the nineteenth century.


Inside it has its original font and Georgian heraldic glass. The oak benches with Jacobean carved ends come from St Catherines in Haydon, Dorset.

 

The church was originally owned by the religious crusading order of the Knights Hospitaller for 350 years.

All Saints’ and St Mary’s Church - 16.01.20

 

Chitterne St Mary to the west and Chitterne All Saints to the east.


There were two ancient parishes, Chitterne St Mary to the west and Chitterne All Saints to the east. Their villages were adjacent and each had a small parish church. In the 19th century they became two civil parishes, then in 1907 they were combined to form Chitterne civil parish.


A village school was built near the village green in 1840 and was attended by children of all ages until 1937, when it became a junior school. The school closed in 1967, by which time the number of pupils had fallen to below 20.

St Andrew, Newton Tony, Wiltshire - 02.11.19
 
The church was built in 1844 to designs by T.H. Wyatt and David Brandon. The font dates from the 12thc. and originated from an earlier church. 
 
Newton Tony church was standing in the 12thc. The rectory was worth £6 in 1291, £20 in 1535. The old church, which may have been undedicated, had a chancel and a nave with south porch and north chapel. The small size of the chancel and the nave suggests that they were built no later than the 12thc. New windows were inserted in the south wall of the nave in the later Middle Ages.
 
The font is a simple, plain bowl decorated with a roll moulding beneath and it sits on a short shaft.  Below the bowl is a small roll moulding (0.03 m) with fillets on either side.  The whole font stands on three steps. The font was illustrated by Buckler who only shows two steps in his watercolour.
The Parish Church of St. Michael & All Angels - 02.11.19
 
In 1867/68 a new church, St Michael & All Angels, was built in Winterbourne Earls for the parishioners of Dauntsey and Earls -  both their parish churches being extremely dilapidated at that time.  The  Ecclesiastical Commissioners deemed it far less costly to build a new church to serve both villages than to repair the two old ones. 
 
The walls of the new church were built entirely of flint stones from the two old churches; old mortar was sifted and used for sand.  Other materials - ancient glass, and timbers were incorporated, memorials and windows were relocated.  There is a scratch dial, or Mass clock, on the wall to the east of the entrance and another on the south side which were brought from the two old churches.  They were a form of sundial, but didn't tell the time, only the hours of church services.  
 
St Michael & All Angels is in the Bourne Valley Team Ministry which comprises the parishes of Allington & Boscombe, Cholderton, Newton Tony, Idmiston with Porton & Gomeldon, Winterbourne Gunner & Dauntsey, Old Sarum, Hurdcott and Ford.  The Rector is the Reverend Peter Ostli-East.  The church is normally open to visitors during daylight hours.
All Saints' Church, Idmiston, Wiltshire - 02.11.19
 
Fearsome gargoyles and medieval carvings.  This is an imposing medieval church.  A remarkable feature of the church is the collection of medieval carvings - internally in the form of elegant corbel-heads, roof bosses, and externally in the form of fearsome gargoyles.
 
There are monuments to the local Bowle family, including vicar John Bowle, who edited an edition of Don Quixote. The nave arcades (from the late thirteenth century) have an eye-catching striped appearance created by the deliberate use of contrasting bands of stone.
 
Much of the rest of the church is from the late fourteenth century. There is a distinctive clerestory and a two-storey north porch with a steeply pitched roof and fine doorways. The whole building was heavily restored by J L Pearson and Ewan Christian in 1865.
The Parish Church of St Nicholas, Porton - 02.11.19
 
The building was opened as a chapel-of-ease in 1877 to replace a fourteenth-century chapel located near the ford at Porton, in the former grounds of Byford House.  The original chapel was built for the convenience of the Burgelen family who lived at Birdlymes Farm; "Birdlymes” is a corruption of ‘Burgelen’. By 1545 it became a chapel of Idmiston church served by a curate.  The chapel continued to support the community at Porton.  In 1848 it was described as a small ancient structure with a nave, chancel and a porch on the south side.  It had a wooden belfry.  Unfortunately, the fabric of the church deteriorated.  It became damp, so that the harmonium had to be carried back and forth on Sundays from Bell Cottage, which stood on the corner of the High Street, next to the present grocery shop.  In1867 a new chapel of St Nicholas was built on a site provided by Mr I A Ingram.  The bulk of the funds was contributed by the Reverend William Dowding, Dr Joseph Waters and Mr Henry Targett.  The WestEnd window was donated by the Reverend William Dowding, Vicar at the time of consecration and a bachelor, in memory of his sister Catherine Dowding.  The two bells and the font came from the old chapel.  
 
The parish church was All Saints at Idmiston, the building dating from the 13th Century.  However, the centre of the parish gradually moved to Porton.  All Saints closed for regular worship in 1978 and St Nicholas became the parish church.
 
This church of flint with brick dressings and a tiled roof was designed by J L Pearson and has a nave, chancel, vestry, south porch and a bell cote.  The general design broadly preserves that of the original chapel.  It was consecrated on 18 July 1877.  Unfortunately, the builder did not follow the architect’s specifications and the church needed underpinning later.
 
Of the two bells, one bell was cast probably in Salisbury sometime in the 14th Century, the other bell was probably originally of the same date but was re-cast by the London bell-founders Mears and Stainbank in 1877. This was almost certainly done during the rebuilding of the church when the present chiming apparatus and other fittings were probably made.
 
The registers dating from 1813 are held in the Wiltshire and Swindon record Office Chippenham.  
 
The following manuscript note is located in the front of the Burial Register, opened 1877, for St Nicholas Chapel Porton.
 
There were no burials at Porton, until the new church was built and consecrated in July 1877.  Previously the dead from Porton and Gomeldon, were interred in the churchyard at Idmiston and as agreed, was maintained by the dwellers in the portion of the parish, called Porton and Gomeldon.
 
The bible for the new church was brought from the old chapel of ease, for Porton was built as a chapel of ease for Idmiston.
 
In 1875, twelve standard lights for Porton church were paid for.  They had been set up in the old church, and were brought by Singer (?) of Frome. Two additional standard lights were placed in the church in August 1882. [The old bible and the standard lights no longer exist.]
 
In October 1880 a fire-door was placed at the east end of the church, to enable the chancel door to stand open in dry weather to air the church. In the spring of the year 1881, the roof of the nave was stained of the colour of oak and all the benches and the door were re-stained.
 
Sunday the 23 of December 1883 an organ for the first time was used at the church. On that day The Reverend Canon Robert Swayne of Salisbury preached.
 
This organ had been used in the Cathedral of St Paul’s London in training the choristers of that Cathedral. It is now re-cased in oak and deal behind. It was purchased for £5 through the kind care of the Reverend Dr Benson of Upton Scudamore.
 
It arrived on Friday the 21, the setting up and tuning, occupied many hours, and was not completed until ten o’clock on the Saturday night. After the sermon preached by Canon Swayne, a collection was made towards defraying the cost, which amounted to £4.9s.4d. And on the next Sunday, a collection was made after a sermon by the Reverend E Meyrick, Rector of Allington amounting to £1.0s.8d. There was also a collection at a concert in the school-room amounting to £5.2s.7d.  Altogether there was gathered in the parish £24.14s.7d.
 
The two chief donors in the parish were Mr Sargent £5. Mr Waters £4.
 
In the summer of 1884 a wall constructed of flints with a coping of Chilmark stone was built along the south side of the church-yard. The oaken wicket gate which was the best part of the work was set up October 30. The other three sides of the church-yard were fenced by iron trudlers (?).

St Michael and All Angels - Figheldean


The church lies to the north of the village on the bank of the river and is a flint with limestone dressing building.  The church consists of a chancel, a 13thc nave featuring arcades with round piers and double-chamfered arches, a south aisle and a late 12thc-early 13thc west tower.  During the 15thc the church was extensively altered: the chancel and the nave were rebuilt, and the south porch and the south aisle were added in this period.  Romanesque sculpture is found on the tower arch that dates from the late 12thc.


The building was restored several times in the 19thc: in 1858-9 Ewan Christian restored the chancel, and in 1859-60 John West Hughall restored the nave, added the north vestry and heightened the tower; the south porch was restored in 1902.

 

Church of St. Giles, Great Wishford - 21.05.19
 
The church at Great Wishford is dedicated to St. Giles and has been known as such since 1386. There was a chapel at Great Wishford in 1207 and it is likely that this was the predecessor of the current church. 
 
The church has a chancel, north vestry, nave with south porch, and a west tower. It is built of chequered chalk and flint. The font is Norman, lined with lead and decorated on the sides with carved columns. The nave was rebuilt in the 19th century, replacing a 12th century original. The chancel dates from the 13th century and the south aisle and possibly the tower were built in the 1300s. The tower was extended in the 16th century. 

 

There was a dispute as to the holder of the advowson at the start of the 13th century, for the abbess of Wilton and lord of the manor, Henry Daubney, both claimed it lay with them. The abbess gave up her claim to the advowson in 1208 "except for the ancient pension which the church of Newton is accustomed to receive from the chapel of Wishford." The advowson therefore went to Daubney. The manor descended in moieties (the manor was split in two) and the advowson was given in turns to each moiety until 1576. The advowson remained with the manor and now belongs to the earl of Pembroke, although there were a few exceptional presentations in the 14th and 15th centuries. 

 

The church holds a monument to Sir Richard Grobham, lord of the manor, who died in 1629; this also commemorates his wife, Margaret. Upon the monument is his coat of arms, showing a lion on a shield. There are also monuments within the church to Nicholas and Edith de Bonham, who died in the 14th century. 

 

There was an extensive restoration of the church in 1863 and 1864. A document of that time stated: "The ancient church yielded insufficient accommodation to the inhabitants". Changes were to the designs of architect T. H. Wyatt while the work itself was carried out by T. Miles of Shaftesbury. The chancel arch, the nave and north south aisles, some windows and the porch were all rebuilt, but in a 14th century style. The church interior was widened, allowing more people into the church. Some 224 people could now be seated, compared with the previous number of 140. The chancel had a new roof and the tower was rebuilt with many embellishments. The cost of the rebuilding is reported to have been £2,141.6.6d. 

 

The new church was opened on 22nd September 1864 at 11.00 a.m. by the Bishop of Salisbury. After the ceremony there was a celebratory dinner and that evening 143 gallons of beer and 28 bottles of sherry were drunk. 

 

A rectory was built in the early 17th century. Parts of this survives in the current building which dates from the beginning of the 18th century. The interior was changed at the beginning of the 19th century. This building remained as the vicarage until 1976 when it was sold for use as a private house and a new building to replace it was erected to the north of the church. 

 

The churchyard was enlarged in 1710 with land granted by Sir Richard Howe, who was the great-great-nephew of Sir Richard Grobham. The churchyard wall was rebuilt to accommodate this new land. There is a sundial below the east window, which was installed at the start of the 20th century, having previously been positioned to the north of the window. 

 

There were two bells in the church in 1553. By the 18th century this had been increased to five; in 1887 (Queen Victoria's Jubilee year) the number four bell was recast. The bell tower was restored and repaired in 1978, after years of not being able to ring the bells, as it was too dangerous to do so. The five bells were taken to Taylor and Co. at Loughborough where the work took place. By October of 1978 the tower had been restored and the bells rang out once again. The cost of the tower's restoration was £15,000, much of which sum came from fundraising in the parish. A rededication ceremony took place on 28th January 1979, led by the Bishop of Salisbury, with the Lord Lieutenant of Wiltshire and Lord Pembroke also in attendance. 

 

The Victorian organ was bought for the church in 1855 for £105. It was enlarged and improved in the 1864 restoration of the church. Behind the organ in the church is the symbol and emblem of the Oak Apple Club. In the churchyard are "Bread Stones", which recorded the price of bread from between 1800 and 1971. In 1800 the cost was "3/4d per gallon". There are two war memorials in the church; one showing the names of 13 men who died during World War One and the other showing the two names of the men who died in World War Two. 

St John the Baptist - Horningsham - 20.03.19


The church of St John the Baptist was founded in 1154 by Sir Robert de Vernon on a sloping hillside.  We don't know what the area of Horningsham looked like then, but today the church looks across glorious countryside to the stately home of Longleat House and Park.


St Johns was created as a collegiate church, and Sir Humphrey de Bohun gave a house, land and animals for a priest to serve the church.  The earliest written record of the church comes in 1224.  That first church was not officially dedicated and had no font for baptism. The churchyard was not enclosed, so animals wandered freely past the door.


By the time of a visitation in 1408 a font had been added, as had a graveyard and fence.  However the inspectors found the fence broken, and decreed that the parishioners must repair it or pay a fine.

St Michael's Church, Brixton Deverill

St Michael's Church, Brixton Deverill - 06.03.19


There was a church at Brixton Deverill as early as the Saxon period, for records show that Alfred the Great paused here to pray for victory before he fought the Danes at Edington in 878AD. That Saxon church would have been a simple building of wattle and timber. 

 

Origins of Brixton Deverill - a love spurned 


The origins of Brixton Deverill are fascinating; according to the most often repeated story, the village was named for Brictric, a Saxon nobleman.  According to the Chronicle of Tewkesbury, Brictric was serving as an ambassador in the Low Countries (modern Belgium and Holland) when he met Earl Baldwin and his daughter Matilda.  A match was proposed between Matilda and Britric, but he rejected the idea.  Matilda then married William, Duke of Normandy, known to history as William the Conqueror.   When William became king of England, Matilda urged him to imprison Brictric at Winchester.  The unfortunate Saxon noble died in prison, and having no heir, his estates were seized by the crown. Matilda then granted the property to the powerful Abbot of Bec, in Normandy.

 

Medieval stone coffin


After the Hundred Years War the French abbey gradually lost its estates in England, and Brixton Deverill passed to Kings College, Cambridge in the 1440s.  By that time the current church of St Michael was about 150 years old. 


The church consists of a west tower nave, and chancel, but only the lowest parts of the tower and an internal arch remain from the original 13th century building.  The top of the tower was added in the 15th century, and the rest of the church was rebuilt in the 1760s. Then in 1862 the chancel was lengthened.


Leaning against the north wall of the nave is an ancient stone coffin, its size suggesting that not all medieval people were shorter than modern citizens! 


The interior has two main features of historic interest. The first is the chancel arch, which is beautifully carved with rich, deep mouldings and clusters of shafts. 


Even more fascinating is a set of carved wooden panels set on the north wall of the chancel. The panels came from the redundant church at Monkton Deverill and were once part of a pulpit given by Lord Charles Thynne in 1880. There are 4 panels, sowing in order Adam in the Deep Sleep, Eve being made from Adam's rib, Temptation and the Tree of Knowledge, and the Angel driving Adam and Eve from the Garden of Eden. The carvings are probably Belgian, and likely date to the 17th century. The quality of the woodwork is simply astonishing. 

Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Kingston Deverill

Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Kingston Deverill - 06.03.19 


The first record of a church in Kingston Deverill is in Bishop Osmond's register of 1099, when there was a chapel dedicated to St. Andrew.  Parts of the present building originated from the 14th century, namely the tower & the two-bay arcade between the nave and the south chapel. The nave, south aisle & chancel were all rebuilt in 1847.  The cost was met by Harriet, Marchioness of Bath. 


During the rebuilding a Saxon font was discovered buried in the churchyard.  This font, renovated in 1982, is still in use. Also of interest is the battered stone figure lying in the chancel.  It is possible that it may represent a member of the Vernon family who were patrons of the church in the 13th century.  The fine, late 14th century wood carving of the Madonna & Child was presented to the church in 1970.  It is thought to have come from a cathedral in Belgium.  The colourful east window has three lights, the central one representing Our Lord, with Mary on one side & John on the other. The west window contains some fine 16th century glass, probably of Flemish origin.


For many years the churches at Brixton Deverill, Monkton Deverill and Kingston Deverill were looked after by the same Priest.  In 1973 all the Deverills churches were merged with Crockerton.  In 1996 the Cley Hill Team was created, joining the Deverills with parishes in Warminster St. Denys, Upton Scudamore, Horningsham, Corsley and Chapmanslade.  

St. Peter and St. Paul, Longbridge Deverill

St. Peter and St. Paul, Longbridge Deverill - 05.03.19


The Church of England parish church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul is partly Norman.  The three-bay north arcade is from the first half of the 12th century and the font is from the same period.  The church was consecrated by Thomas Becket. The tower and south arcade were built in the 14th century.  There was partial rebuilding in the mid-nineteenth century, with various restorations between 1847 and 1860.


The church has memorials to the Thynne family including John Thynne (1515–1580) who built Longleat House.  The tower has eight bells, the oldest dating to 1614.


Today the church is a Grade II listed building and forms part of the Cley Hill benefic.

St Mary's Church, Long Crichel - 02.03.19


St Mary's Church is in the village of Long Crichel, Dorset.  It is a redundant Anglican parish church that has been under the care of the Friends of Friendless Churches since 2010. The church is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade  II listed building.


The church was rebuilt in 1851 and was joined with Moor Crichel in 1855, it dates now from this period.  The Rectory with Moor Crichel annexed was in the patronage of H Sturt esq. The re-building cost in the 1850's was £10,000 and a new organ on the buildings completion. The Hamlet of Mangewood is in the Parish.


Long Crichel is a hamlet and parish in east Dorset, situated on Cranborne Chase five miles north east of Blandford Forum.  It lies in Champaine country and is 2 miles north west of Moor Crichel in the Hundred of Knowlton, Union of Cranborne and Wimborne. First recorded as Circel DB 1086 Longe Curchel 1280, a very ancient name from Celtic meaning {Mound-Hill or Barrow}.  The hill is now Crichel Down.  In the 13th century Aiulf the Chamberlain held this place with Hampreston.
It had two Manors, one called Govis and one Lucy from the two families here from early 13th century.  The West of the Parish was known as Crichel Govis and the East Crichel Lucy from c1250. There was a mill for grain here and 18 acres of pasture.

 

St Mary's Church Lover - 13.02.19


The church was built to serve the rapidly increasing population of the area during the early 19th century, and was consecrated on 25th July 1837. The church itself consists of a chancel, nave and a porch on the southern side. It is constructed of yellow- grey Fisherton bricks, having Bath stone dressings. At the time of its construction it was described as a ‘neat and unostentatious structure in the Gothic style’. Since then it has changed little externally. Internally, however, it was originally designed to seat 420 but subsequent changes, notably the removal of the gallery in 1951, has reduced its capacity. 


The church nestles comfortably in its own ample churchyard and is surrounded by memorial stones to former parishioners. Besides being a place of rest this churchyard has also receive the Bishop’s Award for being retained as a wild life conservancy. 


St Mary's Church is situated between the A338 and the A36 about 7 miles south of Salisbury and two and a half miles east of Downton. Its postal address is Church Hill, Redlynch, SP5 2PL.

Church of St. Michael and All Angels, Urchfont - 02.02.19


The earliest part of this Anglican church is the chancel arch, built in c.1220.  Above the arch there is an unplastered patch which contains faint traces of wall painting.  Fragments of medieval floor tiles were found in 1900 beneath the chancel floor; the stone tiles in the chancel were removed in 1974.  The church had a new chancel by the 14th century and very fine vaulting can be seen.  The bosses are carved with St. Michael, Abraham, a pelican and a mermaid, among others. There is a priest's door on the north side through a buttress. The burial crypt under the chancel has been bricked up.

Church of St Thomas a Becket, Coulston, Wiltshire - 02.02.19


The parish church has 12th century Norman origins.  In the Middle Ages, its dedication was to Saint Andrew, but since the early 19th century it has been to Saint Thomas of Canterbury.  The chancel was built in the 14th century and rebuilt during restoration in 1868; the south side of the nave has a blocked 12th century doorway, while the windows are from the 17th century.


The churchyard has the grave of Francis Savill Kent, murdered in 1860 when almost four years old at Road Hill (now in Somerset, then in Wiltshire).  His half sister Constance Kent confessed to the crime and was imprisoned; the case aroused press interest and inspired books and television dramatisations.

All Saints' Church, Fittleton  - 01.02.19

 

The Church of England parish church of All Saints is of flint and stone, partly rendered, with a west tower.  It was begun in the 13th century and the chancel arch survives from that time. The building was enlarged in the 15th century and the south porch was added in the 16th.  There is a 12th-century font, mounted on a shaft and base from a restoration undertaken in 1903.


Of the six bells in the tower, three are 17th-century and three are from 1903.  The church has a memorial window for HMS Fittleton, a minesweeper of the Royal Naval Reserve which sunk in the North Sea in 1976 with the loss of twelve lives.


The church was designated as Grade II listed in 1964.

Church of St. Lawrence, Stratford-sub-Castle, Salisbury - 10.01.19


The date of the foundation of this church is uncertain and it is first mentioned as a chapel annexed to St. Martin's at Salisbury.  The church was said to have been consecrated in 1326 but this could have been a rebuilt church, replacing an earlier one on the site. There is a 12th century font, but it is possible that this could have originated elsewhere.  It is most probable that much of the stone came from the abandoned buildings at Old Sarum.  Some features of the chancel are of the 13th century and there were alterations and repairs in the 15th century.  From this period comes the waggon roof, with its interesting carved bosses, probably of 1461. 


The nave was probably largely rebuilt in the 16th century and in 1711 the tower was rebuilt, most likely as a copy of the late medieval one.  The building was restored in 1904-5 under the direction of W.D. Caroe and more repairs were carried out in 1926.  Electric lighting was provided in 1948 and there was a further restoration in 1957-8.  There are many pre-Victorian fittings with an oak chancel screen of the 15th or early 16th century and many other internal fiitings of the early 18th century.  In 1553 there were three bells, one was sold in 1584 and there are now two bells dated 1594 and 1767. The parish registers from 1654, other than those in current use, are held in the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre in Chippenham.


Infections, isolation and Commonwealth soldiers


An example hospital patient register entry from records held at Wiltshire Archives, Chippenham show Private Robert G Carter from the Canadian Infantry, stationed at Bulford Camp was admitted on 25th February 1915. He died of Cerebro Spinal Fever on the 26th March aged 31 and was buried at St Lawrence’s at Stratford-sub-Castle, the parish church for the Isolation Hospital at Old Sarum. He is remembered amongst the 47 World War 1 Commonwealth War Graves at the church.


Early in January 1915, heavy rain resulted in three deluges of flood water affecting Fisherton Street and adjacent housing areas, even spreading over the floor of the Cathedral.  The ground floors of Salisbury Infirmary were flooded too, causing not only expense, but horrible conditions in the hospital.  Several cases of cerebro-meningitis were admitted and isolated before removal to the Old Sarum Isolation hospital.


The people of the city were not the only ones dealing with outbreaks of infectious diseases.  Records from the Isolation Hospital at Old Sarum show that during this time World War 1 soldiers camped out on Salisbury Plain were also being treated.  Military camps including Sutton Veny,  Codford,  Fovant,  Bulford, Larkhill and Sutton Mandeville were all packed with Canadian, Australian and New Zealand troops.  These camps sent soldiers suffering with diseases such as meningitis, scarlet fever, bronchitis, pneumonia and emphysema to the Isolation Hospital throughout World War 1. The cramped and poor conditions of the temporary camps, and the thousands of soldiers waiting to be deployed into Europe, must have helped spread these illnesses.

St Marys's Church - Alvediston - 26.11.18


These photographs were taken at St Mary’s Church Alvedistan, in the Chalke Valley.  The area is the source of the River Ebble and is within the Cranborne Chase and West Wiltshire Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

 

Anthony Eden, 1st Earl of Avon, who served as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1955 to 1957 and won the 1955 general election for the Conservatives, lived at Alvediston Manor from 1966 until his death in 1977.  He was buried in St Mary's churchyard.


Prime Minister Sir Anthony Eden is best known for his controversial handling of the Suez crisis in 1956, during the second year of his premiership.

If you have any queries or wish to purchase a photograph, please contact me:

 

+44 7831237759

dcrh@supanet.com

 

If you wish to send a donation to the Alzheimer's Society, please print out and send with a form from their dedicated page.  This will inform the Society that your donation came via this website!  

Get social with us.

Comments

Please enter the code
* Required fields
  • Eleanor firmstone (Thursday, January 23 20 09:20 am GMT)

    Hi, do you have any information on the steam roller ru7342. We now own the roller and wondered what year this was taken.
    Thanks Eleanor

  • Sarah Mitchell (Wednesday, September 11 19 10:31 pm BST)

    Hi there is a wonderful picture you took of a dear friend of mine on his journey to the gdsf this year. It is in the western daily press dated 22/08/19 Carl Brown roading the Marshall to gdsf. I cannot locate this picture on any website to purchase and was hoping i could purchase through yourself many thanks Sarah

  • John Baines (Friday, April 05 19 03:45 pm BST)

    Have you any photogaphs of James & Crockerills yard in Durrington? Their MD Peter Barber owned the Burrell Scenic Road loco 'Prince of Wales@ and other engines including Burrell roller 'Daffodil'

  • Zoe Read (Saturday, March 02 19 07:08 pm GMT)

    I see you already have dates for this one but I wondered if you would consider adding Purbeck Rally to your event list?
    9th -11th August
    worgret road, wareham, dorset, BH20 6AB
    Raising funds for Forest Holme Hospice Charity & other local causes.

  • Andrew Gray (Wednesday, February 20 19 07:55 pm GMT)

    Is that Mr Dimmer and the train made at Durrington Sec Modern, I started there 1963 and left 1968. Mr Dimmer (Regg) was such a great teacher. Wonderful set of images to treasure. p.s we met today at the Boscombe Down Tornado fly past.

  • Jamie (Saturday, September 01 18 01:39 am BST)

    Hi!

    I am Jamie. One of the coalomen from last weeks steam fair. I know you mentioned taking lots of photos of us and it would be lovely to see them. Please get back to me when you can with prices ect i will most certainly purchase a few! In the meantime i will admire wgat you have on your page here already, hope you enjoyed the show! Speak soon

    Regards
    Jamie

  • Don Russell (Friday, August 17 18 08:51 am BST)

    Hullo, found your site when looking for GDSF info. I was wondering if you had any information regarding engines travelling to the GDSF. I read engines will be raising money for cancer on there journey but I cannot find any info regarding route and timings.Thanks

  • Brian Moore (Saturday, August 04 18 12:40 pm BST)

    Thanks David: Brian

  • Peter Freeman (Thursday, May 10 18 09:56 pm BST)

    Fantastic site, easy to read and great pics! Keep up the good work.

Print Print | Sitemap
This website and its content is copyright of DCRH - © DCRH 2020. All rights reserved. Any redistribution or reproduction of part or all of the contents in any form is prohibited other than the following: • you may print or download to a local hard disk extracts for your personal and non- commercial use only • you may copy the content to individual third parties for their personal use, but only if you acknowledge the website as the source of the material. You may not, except with our express written permission, distribute or commercially exploit the content. Nor may you transmit it or store it in any other website or other form of electronic retrieval system.